Saturday, September 10, 2011

You may say that I'm a dreamer....

So this weekend my friend and I discussed the business world because I am taking a business course right now and the things I am learning just blow my mind.  When I explained that I thought corporate America was selling out, she told me I was jaded... and that may be... but I say I'm a dreamer...

I have a rose-colored out look on how things should be in our world.  After I lost my job last year I began to do some professional soul-searching and I realized that what I want to do professionally is to make a difference in the world.  Whether is making something beautiful, or preserving our earth, or touching the lives of the people on this earth, when I die, I want to have left this world a better place than it was when I came into it.  It's hard for me to imagine that other people don't want to aspire to such things also.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive. I know there are people in this world that only want to make a fast buck, and I know equally well that we all make bad decisions and mistakes in our lives also.  But how can it be that other people don't want to leave this world better than when they started?

I began thinking on my way home from my friend's house tonight about that, and I began formulating an idea.  Why is it that we as a society, economically or governmental, don't want to work to invest in our future? We hear how other countries are teaching their children better, that children from other nations excel more in the classroom than those in America.  Why is it that instead of re-investing in our future, we instead put our money and resources elsewhere?  As a society we should be investing in our future, our children, our unemployed! We need to work to prepare our children for a future of new discovery and hard work, a way to better our lives rather than drain our social security and take jobs out of America rather than keep them here because other countries are more efficient and are better planners. Instead of a business telling a potential candidate for employment, "sorry, you are under qualified, over qualified,  too young, too old, don't have enough experience, have too much experience..." why don't we take our time and energy to make these people or children into what we need for our future, or for our company.

We need companies that are willing to take more risks on candidates with outstanding qualities and mold them into what we are looking for.  I assure you, as an unemployed person, if I applied for this job I am willing to do what it takes to be successful and be a productive part of your staff. So teach me! Don't over look me because I am under qualified,or over qualified,  and don't send our children out into the world unprepared and with no experience to build on.  There are thousands of potential students coming out of school each year that are excited and have wonderful ideas for problem solving and making our businesses and government and our LIVES better. Give them a chance! Don't try to kill that spirit, embrace it, inspire it, get excited about it!

My friend said that progress is always slow because we believe that because we've always done something a certain way, that is the way we do it.  What a waste of time and exploration on new and wonderful ideas that could revolutionize our lives! What a waste of productivity and efficiency! My friend told me if I go into a business corporation they would kill my spirit and teach me that this is the way it has to be. How sad it that??? I don't know if I could do that, just come to an acceptance and go through the motions to get through the day.

I'm not saying I have the answers or that I even begin to understand government or politics or even business, but as the movie says,"Is this really as good as it gets?" Is this really what we are aspiring for in our futures, for our children and grandchildren? And one last question, has it always been this bad, or have I only just been awakened to the inner workings of our country? I do hope that there were once better days, and that someday there are better days again. But it doesn't come with just one person, one President, one businessman or woman. It comes from a group of people working TOGETHER to make this world into what we as a whole want it to be for our future.  Not what one person wants, or for a personal agenda. We need to see past our narcissistic wants and realize that we can't take it with us when we go, and we are not bigger than any other person.  It is about who we are as a whole, a country, a world...

1 comment:

  1. You make your friend sound bitter! Remember that your friend thinks that way of thinking is flat out INSANE!

    ReplyDelete

Give me a shout out...